TOP 10 lighting trends in 2023
TOP 10 lighting trends in 2023
Is lighting in the space really that important?
Yes, lighting is an important aspect of any space, whether it is a home, office, commercial building, or outdoor environment. Humans need light for a variety of reasons, including physiological, psychological, and functional aspects, such as:
Vision: Light is crucial for vision, as our eyes rely on light to see and perceive our surroundings. Adequate lighting allows us to navigate our environment, identify objects, and perceive colour, shape, and depth. Circadian rhythm regulation: Exposure to natural light during the day helps regulate our circadian rhythm, which is our internal biological clock that governs our sleep-wake cycle and other physiological processes. Light exposure during the day helps us stay alert and awake, and promotes better sleep at night.
Mood and well-being: Light can impact our mood and overall well-being. Exposure to natural light, especially sunlight, has been shown to improve mood, boost energy levels, and reduce symptoms of depression and seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Proper lighting in indoor spaces can also create a positive ambiance, enhance mood, and promote a sense of well-being.
Cognitive function and productivity: Proper lighting is important for cognitive function and productivity. Good lighting in work or study environments can reduce eye strain, improve concentration, and enhance productivity. On the other hand, poor lighting can cause discomfort, fatigue, and reduce performance.
Safety and orientation: Lighting is crucial for safety and orientation in spaces. Adequate lighting helps prevent accidents, enables clear visibility of obstacles, and promotes safe navigation in indoor and outdoor environments. Proper lighting in emergency situations, such as exit signs or emergency lighting, is essential for evacuation and safety.
Aesthetics and design: Light is an important element in aesthetics and design, enhancing the visual appeal and atmosphere of a space. Well-designed lighting can highlight architectural features, create focal points, and contribute to the overall aesthetics and ambiance of a space.
In 2023 architecture will try to make our spaces more natural and ecological and that includes the lighting. Click here to read article: TOP 6 Trends in Architecture for 2023.
Architects will use adequate and appropriate materials, as it essential for our physical, mental, and emotional well-being, as well as for the functionality and aesthetics of our built environments.
Lighting – what’s new? What’s old? What’s hot in 2023?
Regardless of trends, always remember to make the most of natural light. Thank to natural light we create friendly and energy-efficient spaces. However, based on the aforementioned current trajectory of the architectural and lighting industries, here are some lighting trends that may continue to gain popularity in 2023:
1. LED lighting: LED (light-emitting diode) lighting has been a popular trend in architecture for its energy efficiency, long lifespan, and versatility in design. LED technology continues to advance, and in 2023, we may see even more innovative and creative uses of LED lighting in architectural projects, including creative shapes, colours, and interactive lighting installations.
2. Smart lighting: With the growth of the Internet of Things (IoT), smart lighting systems that can be controlled remotely through smartphones or voice-activated assistants are becoming more prevalent in architectural design. In 2023, we may see further advancements in smart lighting technologies, such as increased integration with other smart home devices, advanced controls for personalized lighting experiences, and improved energy management features. To control existing lighting you can use smart relay switches, that are installed in the electrical box.
Check out: AURATON Smart Switch 1 and Switch 2
3. Human-centric lighting: Human-centric lighting is an approach that takes into consideration the impact of lighting on human well-being, circadian rhythms, and productivity. In 2023, we may see increased focus on incorporating human-centric lighting principles into architectural projects, including adjustable colour temperature, intensity, and distribution of light to create spaces that promote health and well-being. This trend is already being used in planes and trains.
4. Sustainable lighting: Sustainable design practices are gaining traction in the architectural industry, and lighting is no exception. In 2023, we may see increased use of sustainable lighting solutions, such as energy-efficient LED lights, daylight harvesting techniques, and renewable energy-powered lighting systems, to reduce energy consumption and minimize environmental impact.
4. Integrated lighting: Integrated lighting refers to lighting fixtures that are seamlessly integrated into architectural elements, such as walls, ceilings, or furniture, creating a cohesive and visually appealing design. In 2023, we may see more creative and innovative ways of integrating lighting into architectural elements to create unique lighting effects and enhance the overall aesthetic appeal of a space.
5. Minimalist designs: Minimalist lamp designs, with simple lines and shapes, are likely to remain popular in 2023. These designs are often sleek and versatile, fitting in with a variety of decor styles.
6. Natural materials: Lamps made from natural materials like wood, stone, and woven fibers have been growing in popularity in recent years, and this trend is likely to continue into 2023. These lamps bring a touch of nature into indoor spaces and can create a warm and cozy atmosphere.
7. Geometric shapes: Lamps with geometric shapes, including hexagons, triangles, and spheres, are predicted to remain popular in 2023. These designs can create a modern and unique look in any space.
8. Artistic lamps: Lamps that double as works of art are expected to become more popular in 2023. These lamps often have sculptural shapes, interesting textures, and unique colour combinations, making them statement pieces in any room.
9. Outdoor lighting: Bringing outside to inside and vice-versa since covid-19 pandemic, has been a strong trend. We started to love our plants and we happily invite them inside as well as we keep our gardens neater and balconies greener. Solar lighting sales will be increasing, allowing us to spend time in the garden even in the evening. Right outdoor lighting can additionally stretch the interiors of the house and bring that extra relaxation feeling.
10. Overall, lamp designs that prioritize simplicity, natural materials, geometric shapes, artistic elements, and smart technology are likely to be popular in 2023. It's important to note that lighting trends can vary depending on the region, cultural influences, and specific project requirements. It's always best to consult with a professional lighting designer or architect for the latest trends and best practices in architectural lighting design.
Ask our specialist to help you out with your space.